Jocote Marañon/Cashew Fruit

Jocote Marañon/Cashew Fruit
Jocote Marañon/Cashew Fruit

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Dirty Rice


Dirty Rice

2 or 3 ribs of celery finely chopped
1 small onion finely chopped
1/4 cup of green pepper or if you like it spicy, 2 jalapeños finely chopped
1 garlic clove
1 cup of sausage or chorizo or Kielbasa
1 cup of chopped chicken livers and or gizzards (the "dirty" part of the rice)
2 slices of chopped bacon
2 teaspoons of capers
2 teaspoons of olives, with or without pits
oil
salt
Cilantro leaves just a few slightly chopped

I usually cook the chicken gizzards in my pressure cooker with salt and water.  When they are tender I take them out and chop them finely, I'm not crazy about chicken livers, so I only add a few finely chopped, before chopping I rinse and put a little lemon and adobo.  (they do give the rice lots of flavor) 

I heat up approx 5 cups of water and set aside.  I add oil in a pot, cook bacon till crisp, add chorizo or sausage, when pretty well cooked I add onions, garlic, celery, peppers, capers, olives, cook for a little then add chicken gizzards and livers, now I add 3 cups of long grain rice.  I add hot water stir and add salt to taste.  Let it heat up just so that it all mixes well, then I pour everything into an aluminum tray, not to shallow cover tightly with foil paper and place in a preheated oven, probably 400 f.

Cook in over for about 35 minutes, open and stir lightly, if not done close up again and wait a few more minutes.




No comments:

Post a Comment